Sunday, January 13, 2013

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree Pt. 3

Hi friends :).

Sorry, the images for this post disappeared some time ago when I cancelled my Flickr Pro account. Until I get the chance to rebuild this part of the tutorial, please see all project images here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/torisaur/sets/72157632039372875

-----


I spent the weekend working on the fairy house tree project... Here's what's new:



I wound steel wire around the tree trunk and branches to create strength and stability. This process requires patience, pliers and gloves and patience :).



I used a staple gun to secure the wires that touch the wooden base.



And, I used masking tape to hold the wire in place along the branches. 





I gently bent the wires to create graceful shapes.





Each piece of wire is connected either to the main trunk or to another piece of wire that is connected to the main trunk... I was careful not to twist or pull too tight swhich could misshape the tree trunk walls.



I supplemented the newspaper and wire shapes using some aluminum wire mesh. This product is ez to work with and can be cut with scissors (as opposed to wire cutters). Yay! This product comes in a super tiny mesh and a medium mesh - both of which are useful. (purchased from www.hobbylobby.com)


I'm going to create a little nook in the base of the tree for a nest of bunnies.




I formed the fish pond using newspaper and masking tape.



Next, I cut a Ziplock bag to nearly the size of the pond and hot glued it into the pond recess (both layers of the bag), gluing firmly around the pond perimeter. This step offers protection against leaks once I pour the pond water (resin).



Fishy measurements...



I used the small aluminum wire mesh to finalize the shape of the pond. The mesh surface will allow easy application of Creative Paperclay later.



The pouring of the pond is one of the very last steps of any project. If poured too soon, the pond could get dirty and even marred from the rest of the construction process (yep, I've done that LOL).



The facade is coming together...


I started wiring the tree lights using the same 1.8mm LED bulbs used for the interior lighting (www.modeltrainsoftware.com).

 


Then, I used more masking tape to keep the wiring in place along the branches.



Thanks for following along. If you decide to create a project like this and have any questions, please let me know and I'll try to help!

Next time, wrapping up the sculpting and wiring of the tree!

Tori

3 comments:

Simona M said...

Hi there! All the pics from part 3 of your tutorial are not showing up. Did you remove them? Anyway thanks for the wonderful tutorial!!

Lyndsey said...

Hi, I can't see any of the pictures either. These tutorials are great! I'd love to know how you made the tree and pond.

Torisaur said...

Hi friends :) Sorry, the images for this post disappeared some time ago when I cancelled my Flickr Pro account. Until I get the chance to rebuild this part of the tutorial, please see all project images here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/torisaur/sets/72157632039372875

Post a Comment

 
;