Sunday, November 18, 2012

    Tutorial: Fairy House Tree Pt. 1

I'm making a new custom ordered fairy house tree house with a bonsai Weeping Cherry. Here are the steps!

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House
First, draw out the basics of the design on craft or newspaper. I want the house to fit within a 24"x24"x24" box for secure shipping. My previous version of this house had very pointy corners on the base - not so great for successful shipping. So, this improved version will have rounded corners for the base and lots more steel in the armature. I'm working with my customer's existing furniture, so I need to design for everything to fit properly.

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House
Cut out the template and have your favorite woodworker create a piece of wood for the base.

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House
Tools for the next step: a lazy susan is really helpful for turning and accessing the sculpture from all sides while working. Also needed is a powerful electric staple gun, leather gloves, misc. pliers and cutters and small steel wire for attaching pieces.

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House
The armature for the tree trunk house is made from blood (really called diamond) steel lathe. It's super sharp and is the ideal material for applying plaster, clay or concrete for ultimate adhesion and strength. I wish there was another way!

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House
Preparing the lathe for sizing...

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House
I recommend finding a strong dude to help you install and staple the lathe to your wood base :).

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House
I like to keep the paper template in place for now. You can tear it off later before application of the clay or concrete.

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House
Whew! Here's the lathe in place. The hardest part is done!

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House
Now is a good time to use masking tape and protect your windows. This is important for painting later and for not scratching while "roughing in" their location.

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House
Next, cut some holes in the lathe to place your downstairs exposed beams. I wired my chandelier base temporarily to the sticks to eyeball its location.

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House
The windows are taped in place for planning purposes.

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House
Then, cut one more piece of lathe to rough-in the top floor. At this point, the top floor is not connected but just sitting in place for measurement.

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House
I found this great branch to define the root cellar.

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House
Rough-in for the upstairs...

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House
Rough-in for the downstairs...

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House

Tutorial: Fairy House Tree House
Next time: how to secure the lathe and start wiring for electrical.

Thanks for looking! Let me know if you have any questions or if you try this project! I'd love to see your pics :)

Tori

5 comments:

Joanne@ Desertmountainbear said...

Thank you for this. I do not ever think I could work with this heavy duty wire. But I love to see your process. I look forward to more.

Sans! said...

I am so glad you found my blog so that I could find yours! Thank you for sharing this precious tip :).

I look forward to reading more about your work :) and thank you for following mine :)

Melanie EdFo said...

Thank you for a fantastic tutorial of your work, I think is so awesome! I'm going to give this a try with my Husband...he doesn't know this yet of course ;-) But he's always very helpful. Absolutely love the finale result, you are very talented. Thanks again.

Torisaur said...

Thanks for your comments and following along on my project :)

Melanie,
I'm sooooo excited to see your results! I'll be working hard in the next few weeks to complete this project so watch for updates soon. I do fairy work on the weekends so updates are usually posted on Sundays :). I hope to complete this for delivery to the customer in February so lots still to sculpt and document!

Tori

Nikolett Erdődi said...

Dear Tori,

Can we have the second part?? I'm so excited, how does it look like :) you are very talented!!!

Post a Comment

 
;