Sunday, October 7, 2012

    Shabby Fairy Cigar Box House

I'm fascinated lately by miniature houses that can easily fit on a shelf or small table. So, I purchased a selection of vintage cigar boxes to create little 1:12 scale room boxes.

Madeline Shabby Fairy House

Madeline Shabby Fairy House
The little boxes, when encountered closed on a coffee table, just beg to be inspected... What in the world is going on inside that little magical window?

Madeline Shabby Fairy House - Before
I started out with a vintage cigar box from Ebay.

Madeline Shabby Fairy House
I carefully cut out a hole for the window. It's pretty slow going with an x-acto knife. Use a really sharp blade and engage any dudes you know with strong hands to help :). Careful and don't lose patience. It's really ez to crack the box. Cut from the inside and the outside... I have REALLY got to buy a specialty saw for this part...

Madeline Shabby Fairy House
I used a standard 1:12 scale dollhouse working casement window by Houseworks. The window is not installed in this pic but just set in for sizing. Use masking tape on both sides of the window to protect it. Then, paint the window and set it aside. Do not skip the masking tape step or you'll be so sad when your window is all scratched up (been there, done that).

Madeline Shabby Fairy House
I purchased the little clay bricks in a sheet with mesh on the back side. Just cut the mesh so that you have the shape of bricks you'd like to use. Then, glue the bricks to the wall surface with lots of white glue. Leave overnight to dry. Then, apply grout.

For the plaster, I used Creative PaperClay. The clay forms well and air dries. Use a little water to smooth the clay. And, keep a rag handy for sticky fingers :).

Madeline Shabby Fairy House
I tore some wallpaper and used white glue to attach it. Go easy on the PaperClay cuz I ended up making mine too thick and had to use a chisel and sandpaper to remove some of it :)

I used scrapbooking crackle paint to add details to the bricks and window. I like to use the color Picket Fence (whitish). The crackle is teeny and just perfect for dollhouse scale.

Madeline Shabby Fairy House
I applied wallpaper to the sides of the floor of the cigar box using white glue. I tore the edges some to make it more rustic. This roll of wallpaper came from Hobby Lobby - really affordable and shabby awesome!

Madeline Shabby Fairy House
I painted gold highlights on the bricks and the wallpaper (and, um, actually everything) using Winsor & Newton Antique Gold Artist Acrylic paint. It's delightful! I used a toothpick or my finger to apply the gold highlights.

Madeline Shabby Fairy House
I used a real wood sheet to create the wood floor. I cut the sheet to fit and then used a spray adhesive (non-water based) glue to adhere the flooring. I weighted the flooring overnight using whatever I could find that was small, flat and heavy. I used a teeny marker to create nail holes and then I applied Minwax stain in Driftwood color from the hardware store to stain the floor and create lowlights on the wallpaper and in the corners of the box.

Madeline Shabby Fairy House
I hot glued a ribbon to the side of the box because I wanted the back wall to stand up exactly vertically. The back wall was a little heavy due to the bricks and clay.

Madeline Shabby Fairy House
I painted the LED light. It was originally bright brass colored. I painted layers of acrylic and crackle paint and then sealed with a clear coat. I always put some paint on the actual bulb because they are usually too white or bright. I used gold paint for this bulb and white and pink crackle paint for the base. I like to purchase LED lights from miniatures.com or manhattandollhouse.com.

Madeline Shabby Fairy House
Pink crackle paint on the base.

Madeline Shabby Fairy House
The scene decorated with my Bespaq Wildflower furnishings.

Madeline Shabby Fairy House
Rosie enjoys a little shabby posing.


Madeline Shabby Fairy House
I sanded the entire outside of the box and then washed with white and gold paint. I distressed the label using very fine sandpaper and steel wool. Then, I highlighted the distressed label by rubbing gold paint on it.

I sealed the entire box with a spray matte finish - 2 coats.

Madeline Shabby Fairy House

Madeline Shabby Fairy House

Madeline Shabby Fairy House
/a>
Madeline Shabby Fairy House

Thanks so much for visiting! Let me know if you decide to create your own cigar box house. I'd love to see the pics :)

Tori



6 comments:

Cinderella Moments said...

This box is so gorgeous. It's totally signature Torisaur! It's stunning!
hugs,
Caroline

Helga Strauss said...

Such a delight!!! Love this! : )

Anonymous said...

Fantastic!!! I absolutely love it!
Nell Lamb

Torisaur said...

Thx for your comments! I really appreciate them :)

Janice said...

I love this. Thank you for sharing and providing so much inspiration. Yet something else to add to my "To Do" list!!

Kimberly Padua-Badger said...

You are absolutely inspiring! Love love love your work. I wish we were neighbors lol. Not in a creepy way but more thar I could learn from you. I thought I was creative but after looking at your pieces I realized I'm still in kindergarten. Ha ha well done.

Post a Comment

 
;